Otters Year 2
This term the children in the Otters will be studying the following topics across the areas of the curriculum.
- English: A range of fiction and non-fiction texts will be explored. We will be finding out information about otters and then moving on to learn about pirates, writing biographies and instructions. We will then be writing poetry and fact files about the Great Fire of London.
- Maths: Many topics will be undertaken during the term, including number and place value, addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, shape, measure, time and data handling. Support from you in the use and value of coins and time telling would be most helpful.
- Science – In Terms 1 and 2, we will be exploring living things and their habitats by using our surrounding environments to observe like real scientists! We will learn exactly what makes something living and how to distinguish living things against things that are dead or have never been alive. We will be using our knowledge of the needs of minibeasts to create our very own minibeast hotels. We will also collect data about the habitats within our pond area and explore the food chains that can be found within it.
- Computing: The children will develop skills in photography including taking, downloading and editing photos.
- History: The children will be studying the events of the Great Fire of London, the Gunpowder Plot and the reasons why poppies are used to remember those who died in World War 1.
- Geography: The children will be undergoing pirate training and will be investigating the continents and oceans of the world and thinking about where would be the best place to live.
- RE: The Creation story will be our focus as the children consider how important this is to Christians across the world. As Christmas approaches we will think about incarnation.
- DT: The children will create their own Tudor houses and a range of different moving pictures.
- Art: The children will explore and create a range of different artworks, tying in with our topics in history and geography.
- Music – In Term 1, we will develop our ability to discriminate between longer and shorter sounds, and use them to create interesting sequences of sound. We will learn how to use our voices and a variety of untuned percussion instruments to fit in with a steady beat. In Term 2, we will explore the difference between beat and rhythm and develop our ability to perform with a sense of beat. The children will be using beat and rhythm to create an accompaniment for a song.
- P.E. We are very lucky this term to be learning dance with the Dance with Danni team. We will also be taking part in multi-skills activities. Please make sure kit is in school at all times.
- Muddy Mondays – Every Monday in terms 1, 3 and 5 we will be taking part in outdoor activities with Year 1. We will be going outside whatever the weather so please provide the children with old clothes, coats and suitable footwear that you do not mind getting a bit grubby in a plastic bag.
- Homework – This will be given out on a Thursday and handed in the following Wednesday. Spellings will be given out on a Friday with Mr Parr. Please continue to do lots of reading at home as prizes will be given out to those fabulous readers.
Please feel free to support the subjects being covered through investigations on the Internet or at the Library. I am available throughout the year after school to discuss any questions you may have concerning your child’s wellbeing and education.
Thank you for your continued support.
Miss Savage and the Year 2 team