Wolves Year 3
Wolves’ Curriculum Letter 2018/2019 Term 1
Dear Parents, Carers and children,
Welcome back and Happy New Year! I hope you have had a relaxing and enjoyable break and the children are excited to be back and ready to learn. A huge thank you for all the cards and kind gifts, we are all extremely grateful! Also a big thank you to those of you who continued to read over the holidays.
During the coming terms the Wolves will be studying the following topics across the curriculum
- English: We will be identifying features of play scripts then looking at turning well known and loved fairy tales into our own play scripts. Continuing the fairy tale theme we will be creating our own fairy tale with an exciting twist. We will also be writing a letter home from a Roman Solider. We will be exploring the use of different suffixes and prefixes such as sub-,mis- ,im-, -ure and -sion as well as using a range of homophones.
- Maths: We will be undertaking many different topics in the coming terms including: shape, capacity and volume, mass and weight and recapping the four operations. In addition, we will be looking at, reading, interpreting and constructing a range of graphs as well as a range of problem solving activities.
- History: A lot of our history work will be cross curricular, however our main focus will be Roman soldiers. We will also look into influential individuals of the time such as Boudicca and why the Romans invaded.
- Science: Our topic for the next few terms is ‘Forces and Magnets’ this includes comparing how things move on different surfaces, looking at magnetic forces and understanding whether magnets will attract or repel. Children will also learn to group materials based on whether they are attracted to magnets or not.
PE: We are lucky enough to have ‘Dance with Danni’. The children will learn to perform dances using a range of movement patterns. They will also develop flexibility, strength, technique, control and balance.
- Art: We will be looking at a range of Roman art including creating mosaics. We will also be creating religious artwork based on the theme of ‘Gospel’.
- Computing: We will be looking at a topic called ‘We are presenters’. This involves learning how to use PowerPoint. We will be doing our own research on Roman Soldiers and creating a PowerPoint where our information will be presented to the class.
- RE: We will extend our knowledge and understanding of Christianity by exploring and attempting to answer key questions such as ‘What is the Trinity? And ‘Salvation - Why do Christians call the day Jesus died ‘Good Friday’?’
- Music: This term and for the rest of the year we will be learning a variety of songs and learning to play the recorder. If you have your own recorder at home and would like to bring it in please do (please ensure it is labelled). Our music lessons are 1pm every Wednesday.
- Homework: Please continue to read regularly at home this is so important and is part of your homework. We will continue to have weekly spellings and mental maths tests on a Friday morning. Please practise these regularly. Homework should be returned on the following Wednesday morning, so it can be marked and given back to you by Friday.
If you do any extra work at home please feel free to bring it in, whether you have been practising what we have done in class or it is extra independent research on our topic. All support at home is greatly appreciated. If you have any questions or concerns about your child’s wellbeing or education please feel free to catch me after school or book an appointment at the office if I am unavailable.
If you have any big (moving size) cardboard boxes left over from Christmas they would be much appreciated. Our aim is to create Roman shields and have a go at Roman battle formations.
Thank you for all your hard work and dedication.